Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Comparing Chairs

The chairs in the radiology waiting room at Rose Medical Center in Denver are brown. Stripes alternate: dark brown curly designs that harken back to a more Victorian era and thin lines stringing together light brown circles - round baubles hanging like decorations on the Christmas trees taken down only a couple weeks ago.

The waiting room is half-filled with other patients - an older couple murmuring quietly in the corner, a Hispanic woman with three toddlers that play with a new baby as she speaks to the receptionist, a woman a couple years older than me reading a magazine, her tan purse on her lap. The brown chairs snake their way along the walls behind them all, dipping in the middle to create a make-shift division in between. I think of Mayo, with its mauve floral prints that will forever be etched in my mind.

At my one-year follow up with my neurologist at Mayo, we talked about the headaches I still get - a couple a week, most responsive to Advil, but about one a month that leaves me incapacitated, teathered to my couch or bed, trying for hours to sleep off the pain, even when it wakes me between dreams of headaches. He looked at me with concern, though his concerned face reminds me of a disappointed face that makes me think that I've done something wrong. Twenty six years of being a people-pleaser, I suppose. He told me that's not normal; I shouldn't be having them still. A few months ago, I made a similar complaint and was ordered an MRI. Apparently, it had shown a build up of fluid in my brain hole, but the doctors figured it would drain itself. Maybe it hasn't. He ordered a CT scan to see what's going on.

"Hi, my name is Erica Egge. I'm calling to schedule a CT," pause, "E-G-G-E".

"Hi, my name is Erica Egge. I'm calling to check on an order for a CT scan," pause, "Yes, I have my patient number," I read it off again, almost by memory. "Has the order been sent to Rose Medical in Denver yet? Does it have a note to call my insurance?" No, of course not. I give the number for MedSolutions and my insurance member ID. "It has to be noted on the order for the hospital to call them," I request, trying to hide the exasperation from my voice."

"Hi, I'm Erica Egge. I called yesterday. Has the order for my CT scan come in yet? No?"

It progressed thusly day after day. It took over a week for pre-authorization, but finally this morning I left my little third floor apartment for the hospital.

"Erica?" a middle-aged woman in scrubs called from a door to my right.

"I'm Erica," I stood upand walked to her, putting the purple cell phone that doubles as my safty-blanket back into my purse. She may have said her name as she led me down a linolium-floored hallway, but I don't remember it.

"Is it a subdermal hemotoma we're scanning today?"

I don't know what that means. "I had brain surgery about a year ago." Her eyes widened in the surprise I've come to recognize, even expect. "I'm doing fine, still seizure-free, but having headaches."

She opened the blond-stained wooden door to a testing room and walked in behind me. A slab of plastic covered in a white sheet with a small pillow for my head formed a make-shift bed sticking out of a large, white doughnut. I took out my earrings and held them in my hand as the bed began to move, jerking to a stop when the doughnut was positioned over my head. It was much quieter than an MRI, which somehow made it feel more ominous. A red light flashed through my closed eyelids. I began to pray. God, please watch over me. Please let me be okay. Please, I begged. The bed jerked back and forth as the machine emitted shots of radiation over my face to the brain behind it.

The ten minutes felt short and long at the same time when I heard a small motor propel my bed back out into the world, freeing me from my racing mind.

"That wasn't bad at all," I said to the tech, cheery with my brave face. Now it's just a matter of waiting. What happens if they find more fluid in my head? It depends. My favorite answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment