Wednesday, December 28, 2011

One Year Follow Up

The blue glue had formed dry clumps that stuck to my scalp and clung to the bases of each hair springing forth from it. I must say, though, that getting it out this time was much easier than when I had long hair. I turned the pink bottle of Garnier Fructis conditioner upside down and watched a long, creamy snake emerge and coil onto my palm. I ran my hands through my hair, feeling rough spots where the EEG leads had been that morning. The tech who put them on suggested putting conditioner in dry hair and letting it sit for a bit before combing out the glue and rinsing. I turned the black dial on the wall of my parents' bathroom and shut the sliding glass doors of the shower as it filled with steam. I figured fifteen minutes would be enough time: five minutes to fill with white fog and ten to saturate my dry skin and coughing lungs. The steam swallowed me as I stepped into the tan tile enclosure, sliding the warped and frosted glass behind me. I stood with my back to the spigot, letting the hot air warm my body. I had to inhale slowly through my nose to avoid water-induced coughing that felt like choking. I let my muscles relax and melt for a bit; it had been a long day.

My alarm went off at five thirty, Maroon 5 cutting through the early morning silence in the Rochester Garden Hilton. My mom stirred next to me as if she'd already been awake a few moments; John tried to sleep through it but I could see him twitch from his bed a few feet away. We brushed our teeth and washed our faces and my mom and I put on a little make up though it didn't do much to hide the bags under our eyes. In fifteen minutes, we were dressed, packed and out the door. The air was cold outside, a stark contrast from the desert climate of our room. Fortunately the car wasn't far away and it felt like no more than a minute had passed when we pulled into the best parking spot I'd had yet at the Mayo Clinic.

Standing in the steam, I picked up the pink comb on the ledge next to me and began running it through my hair; first one direction, then the next. I pushed the teeth along the scalp just above my hair line; I combed left, picking up glue and wiping it onto my leg, then combed right, finding a little more, and last forward, leaving wet hair hanging straight over my forehead like bangs with a slight curl at the edge where it met my eyes.

When we arrived at the door, the Gonda building was locked. "The doors don't open til six thirty," said a guard. A handful of other early arrivals sat on chairs or leaned against the glass wall separating the heated inter-doorway space from the white marble atrium.

"What time is it, mom?" I asked.

"Six ten," she replied. "Let's go get some breakfast." Caribou Coffee stood with warm welcoming arms across the street and down the block. I had oatmeal, John had a breakfast sandwich and mom had a coffee. I grabbed a paper napkin printed with the Caribou logo and a short holiday-themed Mad Lib. We ate our food and conversed in a series of requested adjectives and nouns, which I entered onto the napkin using the pen I lifted from our hotel room. The result was a mildly amusing story of buying bacon presents for your scissors and decorating a Christmas chair.

Our spirits lightened noticeably with food in our stomachs and we headed back to the hospital, checking in and being directed to the elevators to the desk on the eight floor of the Mayo building.

I'm quite convinced that the elevator in the Mayo building is the slowest in the continental U.S. It rose oh so incredibly slowly and steadily until the climbing light illuminated a black, printed "8", eliciting a ding and a slight lurch as the doors slid open. We stepped out into an unlit elevator bank, slightly concerned as we turned the corner to find an empty room facing an empty check in desk with half of its lights still out. We took a seat in three adjacent chairs upholstered in a familiar mauve floral pattern and waited.

The blue glue came out almost easily with each scrape of the comb. I ran my fingers through my hair every couple minutes to find the next shadow of an electrode. My hands and arms had become covered with hair and little rubbery balls of glue. The steam had stopped its flow and I reached for the silver handle on the wall, pulling it upward to start a stream of hot water from the bath faucet. I rinsed my hands and the comb in the falling stream and watched the discarded clumps travel down the drain before carefully placing the white, rubber plug.

No comments:

Post a Comment