Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

The headaches have been back lately. They're strange, though, coming on sharply all of a sudden rather than a slow, dull storm cloud rolling in over the horizon, giving me enough time to take a preemptive Tylenol. The past few days, however, there's no warning, and I'm left out of commission for hours. I'd say that it's from overexerting myself - a headache hangover - but I haven't been any more active than I have for the past couple weeks. I did get taken downtown by a crock pot lid, and have a bump to prove it, but that was days ago. I'm really not sure what this is. I'm not exactly worried, just perplexed.

My head isn't the only strange thing: it's been raining in Colorado for two weeks now. At the edge of the desert, we're flooded with sunlight, not rainwater. Like my headaches, heavy rain comes on with no warning. The thunder booming outside my window was kind enough to wait until I got inside before dumping its rain on the stairway beyond my door. Maybe it was making up for yesterday: I had to go downtown and decided to be a good world citizen and take the bus. After trekking to the wrong bus stop, I eventually found my way to the 15 and got off ten blocks beyond where I'd meant to. It was nice out, though, and the walk was nice. However. Trying to get home, I walked past four bus stops before finding the elusive 15 again and paid my $2.25. I had thought that taking the bus would've been cheaper than paying for parking, but apparently not. But I digress. Ten minutes later, I saw my street coming closer and closer, and timing it just right, I pulled the Stop Requested string. But the bus didn't stop. Instead, it started raining, pouring, and though the red light was on, the driver pressed on just short of a mile farther. Really? Are you kidding me? I disembarked in my tank top and skirt, my purple backpack my only shield against the sky's assault. There were no trees to block the raindrops attacking my head. My scar hurt, but there wasn't anything I could do. I booked it as fast as I could, getting in my workout for the day. I cursed the rain, the thunder, the lightening, the sky. I willed my backpack to protect the computer inside it. I passed tattoo parlors, dive bars, diners, sex toy shops and used book stores. When I hit Walgreens, I knew I was almost there. Turning onto a side street, I darted between trees, seeking cover wherever I could. Tree to tree to tree, like connect the dots, I made my way to my apartment building - the building with an open-air staircase. Awesome. I climbed the stairs, wishing I had an elevator, wishing I lived on the first floor. Collapsing into my apartment, I thought to myself, those rainclouds owe me. Big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment