Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Miss You, Mom

The sun has set, the sky is dark, and the day's heat has faded to room temperature. The blinds on my single window are raised, but the drapes are drawn, showing only a little of the railing beyond my door and the concrete of the next building over. I reach over and turn the Fan to Cool, balancing precariously on the tall, kitchen chair as my arm stretches out.

Tomorrow at ten I'm getting my hair cut. It's gotten so long, I can hardly believe it. The scar that used to part my scalp like Moses parted the Red Sea is grown over with dark brown curls that trip over each other, bobbing up and down as I walk. I stood in front of the mirror tonight after I washed my face, a few forgotten droplets rolling down my cheeks. I ran my fingers over and through each ringlet until they looked teased and stood straight out, parallel to the floor. I stared, astonished, and remembered one night a week or two after the surgery, when my uneven hair mirrored the changes within me: half falling past my shoulders like it had for years and half still peach fuzz, new and growing, vulnerable yet protected. Mom sat on my bed as I played with my long hair and lamented it's inevitable loss. "But mom, look, it's so nice and long and pretty," I looked at her, pleading her to appreciate my plight, "it's gonna take forever to grow back."

"Well, let's see," she mused, ever the problem solver. "Hang on, I'll grab a ruler". She crawled to the edge of my bed and bounced off, a creaking sound following her as she walked down the hallway. Moments later, she returned with a ruler like the one I'd used in grade school math to draw straight lines. She held the wooden stick to my head and pulled one lock straight, telling me the measurement before switching to the other side and gently touching my hair without putting pressure on my fragile head. Not even half an inch yet. "Okay, if this is how long your hair has grown since January 24th, it'll take...", she paused, calculating in her head, "about two years."

"Two years??!!" Something shiny and girly sank inside of me.

I thought of that tonight, noticing how seven months can seem so long and so short at the same time. I remembered my mom sitting on my bed and it feels so far away. I saw her leaning on her elbow and looking lovingly at me, the way she did every night, and it made me miss her so much. I miss the time I had with my parents, the luxury of seeing them every day and basking in our love for each other. I miss the warm feeling I get when she hugs me, the assurance that no matter what, everything will be okay.

Today is September first; I'm not going home again until Christmas. I count the months on my fingers, my heart feeling just a little heavier with the passing of index finger, middle finger, ring finger, pinky. Four months. That's so far away. Mom, if you're reading this, I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment