Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Parking Tickets

I lay in my bed, warm and cozy under sheet and comforter as an almost chilly breeze wafted through the window above me. I scooted as close to the edge as I could, reaching the cable that connected my phone to its charger as far as it reached so I wouldn't have to turn to my left, which still bothers me.

I glanced at the bird and flower collage clock - 9am - and a nagging feeling came over me; I was supposed to do something. But what? I thought back: today is Wednesday, I'm going to lunch at 11:30, but no, that's not it... I have to move my car! I jumped up, beelined to my keys that sat on the kitchen table and ran out of my apartment still clad in red plaid boxers and an old tattered tshirt from John's fraternity, my hair sticking straight up, clearly illustrating that I sleep on my right, and my face still greasy, mirroring every object I passed as if my nose were covered in glass. I clutched my head, cursing myself for the jostling caused by my comical half-jog and promising to take two Advil when I got back. The morning air was cold, reminding me that the season changed last Friday, dropping to the seventies after our final Thursday in the hellish nineties.

Speedwalking toward my car at the end of the street, I checked the other three mis-parked cars to see if they had yet gotten tickets on street sweeping day. No yellow envelopes were folded in half and shoved through the crack in car doors, impossible to miss next to the driver's handle. Hope welled inside of me, maybe the Enforcers hadn't come yet, maybe I could keep my twenty five dollars... Joy spread shamelessly through my body as I reached my beat up silver Sebring: no ticket. I thanked the parking gods and jumped in, NPR coming through my speakers when I turned the key and shifted into drive. Five cars sped by before I was able to turn right onto the one-way at the end of my street that bordered the North end of the park. Ten feet later I pulled into a safe parking spot with a two hour limit; more than enough to get me through a shower, bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats and the rest of my emails.

Of course I saw an empty parking spot completely legal and right across the street from the door to my building, but I didn't care enough to trek back to my car and move it again. My body contemplated a shiver as I passed a man out walking his great dane. His eyebrows rose as he took in my pajamas and spiky hair and offered a smiling "good morning" as he saw the keys in my hand, making the connection between my haggard appearance and the parking sign behind me. "Good morning," I answered, and it was good: I hadn't gotten a ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment