Monday, September 26, 2011

Six Reminders

Just above a small mole, a freckle really, on the back of my right hand, there is a circle - darker than the sun-kissed tan of my skin with a white dot in the middle. It sits atop a blue vein that carries blood to and from the fingers that type my thoughts, nourishing them, feeding them the oxygen they need to flutter over my keyboard before carrying their leftovers, all they didn’t use, to be pumped back through my heart longing for caffeine and my lungs still thick with mucus after four days of bed rest and antibiotics. The scar watches me from its post, telling me that the landscape of the back of my hand that I know so well has been changed forever. I wiggle my fingers and watch it move side to side with the tendons below it. So intricate the human hand is; so delicate. I watch the scar, and I accept it.
There are times when I wish it would just disappear already, leave me be, give me back my body. There are times when I mourn the unblemished skin that used to stretch over everything, dark olive covering my hands, my arms, my legs, my back, my chest, my stomach, my face. Still I go back and forth, oscillating between peace and frustration, but as the rollercoaster slows, I find myself moving closer and closer to acceptance.

There are four scars on my hands, one on my forehead and one on my scalp, but it’s the small dot on the back of my right hand that I see the most. It is a constant reminder of what I did; what I went through. I look at that scar, left by the IV port that stayed in my hand for too long, becoming stiff, dry and painful before finally being moved to its left partner. I think of my life and how different it is; how different I am. It is unsightly, yes, but as I get farther away from the surgeries that bore it, this scar reminds me of my strength, my will. The small silver dots on the undersides of each wrist twice fed me anesthesia as the vice that kept me still carved the scar on my forehead and the scalpel sliced the shaved skin where my hair once was, exposing my skull to the saw that removed it and the plates that replaced it, leaving a red-tinged dent to span the length of my head. Six scars in total. Six defacements that left me a new person, that gave me a new life.

I stand in the bathroom every night, toothpaste burning my tongue as I brush my teeth, and I stare at the dent on my forehead. I remember it as a scab, a burnt sienna covering to a thumbprint-sized relief an inch and a half above my eyebrows. Today it looks like no more than a short wrinkle; the puckered scar buried below new tissue like a birthday gift hidden under brightly colored paper thin as onion skin.

Back and forth I push the toothbrush and look through the mirror at John standing behind me, light blue toothpaste showing between his lips, threatening to drip onto the back of my t-shirt if he doesn’t spit soon. I can’t help but smile as I watch him and think to myself that the scars I wear helped us find each other. The best decisions of my life intertwined.

1 comment:

  1. Erica,

    Not only can I relate to the scar from the IV port, but I love your use of language.
    Best,
    Jessica K. Smith
    Founder
    http://livingwellwithepilepsy.com

    ReplyDelete