Monday, October 3, 2011

Happy Anniversary

I imagine October 3rd of 1981 to be a warm day for the season, especially in Minnesota. I see my mom getting dressed in a white gown with long sleeves and lace covering her clavical. I watch as she affixes a short vail to her head, her sisters around her, adjusting the tulle like ladies in waiting to the day's royalty. I see my sisters in maroon velvet, flower crowns on their heads - one a grade-schooler, one a newly minted teenager. Hair done, they find dad in the chapel at Macalester College, where he had taught an economics class the day before. He poses for a picture in a black tux and bow tie, one arm around each of his daughters, a corsage of red rose flanked by baby's breath pinned to his chest. I see him as excited and so increadibly happy, with just a touch of nerves.



At some point, everyone takes their places and as the music begins, my sisters walk down the aisle, followed by my mom's sisters. The music changes and the whole chapel rises, turning to watch my mom, radiant, float toward the alter. I don't imagine her crying, but I'm sure my dad got a little misty.

My favorite picture of my parents was taken as they walked out of the chapel, newlyweds with an arm around eachother's waists, smiling and laughing, their life together stretching ahead of them, an open road paved with kindness and promise.

More than once over the years, my dad has told me, "Erica, don't look for what your mom and I have, cause you're not gonna find it." Thirty years after that warm, October day that started with a dress and ended with a blue grass band playing over a back yard pig roast, their happily ever after continues on. Life is never easy, but they've taught me that with the right partner, you can do anything.

Happy anniversary, mom and dad.



ps- John, thank you for being my partner. I'm so happy to know that I've found It, too. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment