Monday, October 24, 2011

A Watched Pot

They say a watched pot never boils. As I watch myself growing back together, so often I feel as though I see no movement at all. Two evenings in a row, I lay on my red couch, the pillows embroidered with gold and in need of restuffing. I stare at the white wall opposite and try to stay as still as possible; every time I move, sharp daggers of pain shoot through my head. I feel trapped and helpless, completely dependent on the hands that bring me food, water and the remote control. My conscience eats at me, my useless form unable to contribute to the daily tasks of cooking and cleaning.

A pint glass with a bar logo sits on the coffee table next to me, the last drops of water sliding down the sides to pool at the bottom. John asks me if I'd like a refill, but when I turn to hand it to him, a bolt of pain pierces me and I grasp the left side of my head. My fingers intertwine themselves with the dark curls of my hair and I gently pull, thinking that maybe if I can just lift away my scalp a little, there will be more room for my skull, my brain, to heal and it won't hurt anymore.

I close my eyes and lie back down, a pillow supporting my neck as I pull a dark gray knit blanket over my legs, taking care to cover my cold feet. When will this end? I think to myself. I thought I was done with these. I still take Advil before a long walk or pilates class and I avoid activities that would jostle my brain in its fragile shell, but unexplained headaches that come on strong with no warning? I recount the past days, hoping to find a catalyst, anything out of the ordinary, but I come up empty. What changed? I don't know. When will it be over? I don't know.

1 comment:

  1. It was very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete