Saturday, June 18, 2011

Packing for Summer Camp

Tomorrow morning at seven am, I'll load up my car with a white and pink gym bag full of too many things I likely won't need and a backpack containing my computer, notebook and a couple books and head out. I'm spending the next five days at the Epilepsy Foundation of Colorado's summer camp for kids with epilepsy at the YMCA in Estes Park. Excited as I am, I had a gyro for dinner from my favorite Greek place since I know I'll be eating camp food for a week. Now I'm downing water, though, since the gyro filled me up with enough sodium to last me a month, but that's a good thing because my medications give me really low sodium, which can make me feel faint and tired and weak, and I don't need to feel those while chasing after water jugs, s'more fixings and small children.

On Wednesday, I ordered a refill of my Lyrica so I would have enough for the trip, but my prescription had run out. The Walgreens pharmacy staff sent a message to my neurologist's asking them to approve another refill, but apparently no one ever got back to them. Now I'm out. I called the clinic this morning and got the on call doctor, who gave me two days' worth of pills to carry me through Monday, when I can get ahold of my doctor, but on Monday I'll be in Estes Park, which doesn't have a Walgreens. Plus, I'll be at camp. I was checking around online and found three other pharmacies there, so hopefully she'll be able to send a prescription to one of those and hopefully I'll be able to duck out quickly to run over and pick it up. It's frustrating when something like this happens. I get excited that I remembered to order my pills early, but then I find out that the prescription doesn't have any refills left and no one authorizes it for more, so I'm suddenly left with no pills. It's irritating. I did, however, find out just the other day that I can start to wean off of my Lyrica! On Monday, I will have been seizure free for five months! Pretty amazing. I still have to talk to my doc about my decreasing plan, but the wheels are in motion! I was also told to get a CT scan of my brain because of the headaches. My doctor at Mayo said that the tenderness I feel on my left is normal, but the frequent recurring headaches are not. Slightly concerning, but at least we're still looking into it. So that's good.

Anyway, I need to finish packing now so I can get some good rest before a week of sleeping few hours on an uncomfortable bed! I'll try to post while I'm there, but I may not have Internet access, in which case I'll be back Thursday!

Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment