Monday, June 27, 2011

A Big Year

It’s my birthday tomorrow. In twenty nine minutes, to be exact. Twenty five has been a big year. Since I was a kid, I would sit down the night before my birthday and write. I would reflect upon the ups, the downs, the changes and the things that stayed the same. I’ve been wondering how to even begin to tackle that this night, so much has happened. I guess I would say that this year was, overall, a year of love and acceptance. I had my first whole summer since college without a weekend on Bohn Island; I grew closer to friends I hadn’t expected and grew apart from others I never thought I would; I watched my friends get married and heard them talk about children; I even found my own boyfriend and grew to love him, too. I watched as my epilepsy consumed my life, first as my seizures got worse and I had sometimes-debilitating side effects from my pills every day, and then as I decided to have surgery and lived through what that meant. I went from sitting in a Starbucks with an October wind rushing me every time the door opened and reading that brain surgery had an eighty to ninety percent chance of success to three months later, sitting in a plastic chair with foam cushioning across from a neurosurgeon as he told me I had a twenty five percent chance of success and then taking it. God, I feel like all I think about and all I talk about is my surgery, seizures, epilepsy and recovery! Sometimes I get so sick of being inside my own broken-record, but somehow I’m not able to escape it. Yes, the headaches tether my thoughts to my body, but maybe I’m just not able to let it go. I spent three months planning and five more recovering, putting a grand total of almost three quarters of my twenty fifth year centered around my surgeries. I learned so much this year. Being denied the choice to take care of myself, I was forced to let go, give in and depend on other people. I never knew how much trust I was keeping inside me, grasping tightly to it as I elbowed people away. It was when I gave in and fell, dropping my trust until my arms went slack, that I knew I had enough love to catch me before I hit the ground. I learned trust, I learned love, I learned friendship, and I could because of how I learned pain. So yes, it was a big year.
As I rapidly approach midnight, I make two promises to myself: that I remember all of the lessons I learned this year, and that I let myself move on. I can’t be trapped in my limbo forever; I didn’t have surgery so that I could stay and dwell on it for the rest of my life. This year I will remember and I will forget. I will cherish and I will endure. There is so much out there to experience, and now I don’t have any reason to stay behind. I stare through the window to the future and I see that I know nothing about the world and very little about life, but it’s okay, I don’t need to have all of the answers. Tomorrow I’ll only be a day older than today.

No comments:

Post a Comment