Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Six Month Anniversary

The deep throbbing just behind my left temple beats a syncopated rhythm into my head. I chase two Advil gel caps with grapefruit juice and hope that it goes away soon. The headaches are fewer and farther between these days, but every once in a while they come out, reminding me that six months isn’t as long as it used to be.
I spent the morning job hunting: getting back to emails, contacting anyone who might know someone, applying online, scheduling an interview. Cooking, cleaning and writing fill out my to do list for the rest of the day. As I take a pen to my green notebook and fill it with, “email so and so”, “unpack suitcase from Minnesota” and “print out shipping label for Kindle return” and cross off, “exchange printer ink and get printer paper” and “put in maintenance request for air conditioner”, I can’t help thinking how different my day is from the same one exactly six months ago. At five thirty am on January 20th, I ran through the early morning dark, bundled against the negative twenty degree weather in a black puffy coat and boots, to the hospital across the street from my hotel, mom and dad in tow. We scurried along the perimeter of the building, trying to shield ourselves from the wind, and picking up pace when we rounded the corner and saw the light from the entrance. My nose started to run as soon as we stepped inside and I jumped the admissions line to get a Kleenex from the desk. The weather in Denver today mimics the difference between that day and this: ninety degrees and mostly sunny. When I step into the air conditioned inside, I notice the sweat on my body and crave a shower rather than a Kleenex.
As I look at the clock on the bottom right corner of the tool bar on my computer, I wonder what was happening at 10:26am that day. I was in surgery by then. My head had been shaved and placed in a vice. I put aloe on the oval-shaped scar on my forehead from that same vice this morning. I put aloe on the scars on my left hand and wrist from the IVs that pumped the anesthesia into my body. The surgeons cut through my scalp, pulling it back and removing a quarter of my skull with a saw. At 5,280 feet above sea level, the atmosphere in Denver is thin, so I’ll put spf 50 on my semi-circle scar before I go out, even though my hair has grown to almost three inches and mostly covers it.
Over the next few hours, 180 electrodes would be placed on the surface of my brain. The email my mom sent to our family between rosaries conveyed the updates given her by the nurses. The email she sent me this morning included an invoice from a follow up appointment I had in June that’s still being processed by my insurance. She said she’s at the office catching up on work from last week when she and dad were at the cabin with me, my sisters, my nieces and nephews, brother-in-law, and boyfriend. She says the weather there is still really hot and muggy.
My parents got to see me around 3pm. I was still coming out of anesthesia and don’t remember it, but they were there. Today at 3pm I have a phone interview scheduled. Somehow, more exciting than that is that I slept on my left last night! In the hospital, I couldn’t even turn my head to the left; I made everyone who visited me sit to the right of my bed so I could see them without putting any additional pressure on my fragile, skull-less brain. For the better part of twenty five years, I’ve slept on my left, but for the past six months, I’ve had to sleep on my right to spare my tender head. Waking up on my left side at 7:30 this morning felt amazing. Absolutely amazing.
I guess, in summary, I have a ways left to go, but in the last six months I’ve been given a new life. My body is lighter, sweeter, and I’m happier than I can ever remember being. I feel loved, blessed and so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment