Wednesday, July 6, 2011

One Down!

Today is my first day off of Lyrica! I only started decreasing it a week ago, but already I feel like I have more energy. Maybe that's a placebo effect, but I honestly don't care. I've been so tired and missing caffeine like crazy, so every little bit helps. I can't believe that this is really happening. The doctors told me that if I made it six months seizure-free, I could get off of one of my three seizure meds, and if I make it a year, I can get off another. It's a couple weeks early, but I can't believe I've gone this long without a single seizure. It's really real, isn't it. Huh. Wow. I never thought that the day would come where I really was seizure-free and could get off of my medicine. Granted, I'm most likely going to be on medication for the rest of my life, but it'll just be a small dose of one medication, not three.

I get so nervous sometimes that maybe it hasn't gone away, maybe it'll come back. My right hand is still a little weak, I'm probably at 90% or so, and every time I notice it, I worry that maybe I'm about to have a seizure, maybe I am having a little seizure. But I'm not. Sometimes I still can't believe it. But this time it's real. I'm really getting better.

I still get headaches and I still can't sleep on my left side, but overall I'm feeling really good. When I was first researching the surgery, I never would've imagined that it would take so long to recover, but I guess it does. I've been out of work since October, which seems crazy when I think about it. Nine months. What have I been doing for the last nine months?? I guess a lot of sleeping, popping pain pills, researching, testing and writing. Life has kept me pretty busy, but in the last couple weeks I've started to get bored. I'm ready to go back into the workforce. I'm ready to get a job again, be a productive member of society. A paycheck wouldn't hurt, either. Now it's just a question of figuring out what I want to do with my life and getting someone to hire me... Easy peasy...

No comments:

Post a Comment